1. Barr ML, Kiernan JA, eds. The human nervous system, 6th ed. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott Co, 1993.
2. Van Beek AL, Jacobs SC, Zook EG. Examining of peripheral nerves with the scanning electromicroscope. Plast Reconstr Surg 1979;65:309.
3. Allieu Y, Bonnel F. Surgical anatomy of the peripheral nerves. In: Tubiana R, ed. The hand, vol. 3. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1988:405–422.
4. Smith JW. Factors influencing nerve repair, collateral circulation of peripheral nerves. Arch Surg 1966;93:433–437.
5. Williams HB, Jabaley ME. The importance of internal anatomy of peripheral nerves to nerve repair in the forearm and hand. Hand Clin 1986;2:689–691.
6. Sunderland S. The intraneural topography of the radial, median and ulnar nerves. Brain 1945;68:243.
7. Jabaley ME, Wallace WH, Heckler FR. Internal topography of major nerves of the forearm and hand. A current view. J Hand Surg [Am] 1980;5:1.
8. Lundborg G, Branemark PI. Microvascular structure and function of peripheral nerves. Vital microscopic studies of the tibial nerve in the rabbit. Acta Microcirc 1968;1:66–88.
9. Lundborg G. The intrinsic vascularization of human peripheral nerves: structural and functional aspects. J Hand Surg [Am] 1979;4:34.
10. Zachary LS, Delon AL, Seiler WA. Relationship of intraneural damage in the rat sciatic nerve to mechanism of injury. J Reconstr Microsurg 1989;5:137.
11. Sunderland S. Nerves and nerve injuries, 2nd ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 1978.
12. Mackinnon SE, Delon AL. Surgery of the peripheral nerve. New York: Thieme Medical Publishers, 1988.
13. Dahlin LB, Lundborg G. The neuron and its response to peripheral nerve compression. J Hand Surg [Br] 1990;15:5.
14. Badalamente MA, Hurst LC, Ellstein J, et al. The pathobiology of human neuromas: an electron microscopic and biochemical study. J Hand Surg [Br] 1985;10:49–53.
15. Battista AF, Craviato HM, Budzilovich GN. Painful neuroma: changes produced in peripheral nerve after fascicle ligation. Neurosurgery 1981;9:589–590.
16. Seddon H. Surgical disorders of the peripheral nerves. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 1972.
17. Sunderland S. Nerves and nerve injuries. Baltimore: Wil-liams & Wilkins, 1968.
18. Williams HB. The painful stump neuroma and its treatment. In: Terzis JK, ed. Microreconstruction of nerve injuries. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1987:161–172.
19. Nath RK, Mackinnon SE. Management of neuromas in the hand. Hand Clin 1996;12:747–748.
20. Herndon JH. Neuromas. In: Green DP, Hotchkiss RN, Pederson WC, eds. Green’s operative hand surgery, 4th ed. New York: Churchill Livingstone, 1999:1470–1472.
21. Reference deleted.
22. Dahlin LB, Shyu BC, Danielsen N, et al. Effects of nerve compression or ischemia on conduction properties of myelinated and non-myelinated nerve fibers. An experimental study in the rabbit common peroneal nerve. Acta Physiol Scand 1989;136:97–105.
23. Powell HC, Myers RR. Pathology of experimental nerve compression. Lab Invest 1986;55:91.
24. Vujaskovic Z. Structural and physiological properties of peripheral nerves after intraoperative irradiation. J Peripher Nerv Syst 1997;2:343–349.
25. Hao JX, Blakeman KH, Yu W, et al. Development of a mouse model of neuropathic pain following photochemically induced ischemia in the sciatic nerve. Exp Neurol 2000;163:231–238.
26. Dellon AL. Wound healing in nerve. Clin Plast Surg 1990;17:545–552.
27. de Medinacelli L, Freed WJ, Wyatt RT. An index of the functional condition of rat sciatic nerve based on measurements made from walking tracks. Exp Neurol 1982;77:634.
28. Einheber S, Hannocks MJ, Metz CN, et al. Transforming growth factor-beta 1 regulates axon/Schwann cell interactions. J Cell Biol 1995;129:443–458.
29. Van Hooff COM., Oestreicher AB. The nerve gap: suture under tension versus graft. Plast Reconstr Surg 1975;56:96.
30. Morris J, Hudson A, Weddell G. A study of degeneration and regeneration in the divided rat sciatic nerve based on electron microscopy. I. The traumatic degeneration of myelin in the proximal stump of the divided nerve. Z Zellforsch Mikrosk Anat 1972;124:76.
31. Letourneau PC. Neurite extension by peripheral and central nervous system neurons in response to substratum-bound fibronectin and laminin. Dev Biol 1983;95:212.
32. Dubovy P, Svizenska I, Klusakova I, et al. Laminin molecules in freeze-treated nerve segments are associated with migrating Schwann cells that display the corresponding alpha-6 beta-1 integrin receptor. Glia 2001;33:36–44.
33. Mligliche N, Kitada M, Ide C. Grafting of detergent-denaturated skeletal muscles provides effective conduits for extension of regenerating axons in the rat sciatic nerve. Arch Histol Cytol 2001;64:29–36.
34. Yuksel F, Karacaoglu E, Guler MM. Nerve regeneration through side-to-side neurorrhaphy sites in a rat model: a new concept in peripheral nerve surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg 1999;104:2092–2098.
35. Petropoulos PC, Stefanko S. Experimental studies of posttraumatic neuromas under various physiologic conditions. J Surg Res 1961;1:235–240.
36. Boyes JH. Bunnel’s surgery of the hand, 3rd ed. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott Co, 1956:426.
37. Campbell JB, Bassett CAL, Girado JM, et al. Application of monomolecular filter tubes in bridging gaps in peripheral nerves and for prevention of neuroma formation. A preliminary report. J Neurosurg 1956;16:635.
38. Davis L, Perret G, Hiller F. Experimental studies in peripheral nerve surgery. Effect of injection on regeneration and functional recovery. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1945;81:302–308.
39. Engh CA, Schofield BH. A review of the controlled response to peripheral nerve injury and its significance in nerve regeneration. J Neurosurg 1972;37:198.
40. Salonen V, Lehto M, Vaheri A, et al. Endoneurial fibrosis following nerve transection. Acta Neuropathol (Berl) 1985;67:315–321.
41. Siironen J, Sandberg M, Vuorinen V, et al. Collagen type I and III and fibronectin expression after transection of peripheral nerve: reinnervation compared to denervation. Lab Invest 1992;67:80–87.
42. De Leon M, Welcher AA, Suter U, et al. Identification of transcriptionally regulated genes after sciatic nerve injury. J Neurosci Res 1991;29:437–448.
43. Nelson AW. The painful neuroma. The regenerating axon versus the epineural sheath. J Surg Res 1977;23:215–221.
44. Fisher GT, Boswick JA Jr. Neuroma formation following digital amputations. J Trauma 1983;23:136–142.
45. Koman AL, Smith T, Smith BP, et al. The painful hand. Hand Clin 1996;12:757–764.
46. Raya SN, Meyer RA, Campbell JN. Peripheral mechanisms of somatic pain. Anesthesiology 1988;68:571.
47. Van Beek AL. Management of nerve compression syndromes and painful neuromas. In: McCarthy JG, ed. Plastic surgery, vol. 7. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1990:4846–4858.
48. Noble J, Munro CA, Prasad VSSV, et al. Analysis of upper and lower extremity peripheral nerve injuries in a population of patients with multiple injuries. J Trauma 1998;45:116–122.
49. Carter GT, Robinson LR, Chang VH, et al. Electrodiagnostic evaluation of traumatic nerve injuries. Hand Clin 2000;16:1–12.
50. Claudry V, Cornblath DR. Wallerian degeneration in human nerves. Serial electrophysiological studies. Muscle Nerve 1992;15:687–693.
51. Kraft GH. Fibrillation amplitude and muscle atrophy following peripheral nerve injury. Muscle Nerve 1990;13:814–821.
52. Dorfman LJ. Quantitative clinical electrophysiology in the evaluation of nerve injury and regeneration. Muscle Nerve 1990;13:822–828.
53. Buchberger W, Judmaier W, Birbamer G, et al. Carpal tunnel syndrome: diagnosis with high-resolution sonography. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1992;159:793–798.
54. Jessurun W, Hillen B, Zonneveld F, et al. Anatomical relations in the carpal tunnel: a computerized tomographic study. J Hand Surg [Br] 1987;12:64–67.
55. Jarvik JG, Kliot M, Maravila KR. MR nerve imaging of the wrist and hand. Hand Clin 2000;16:13–24.
56. Ikeda K, Haughton V, Ho K-C, et al. Correlative MR anatomic study of the median nerve. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1996;167:1233.
57. Oberle J, Antoniadis G, Rath S, et al. Value of nerve action potentials in the surgical management of traumatic nerve lesions. Neurosurgery 1997;41:1337–1342.
58. Ochiai N, Nagano A, Sugiako H, et al. Nerve grafting in branchial plexus injuries. Results of free grafts in 90 patients. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1996;78:754–758.
59. Tiel R, Happel L, Kline D. Nerve action potential recording method and equipment. Neurosurgery 1996;39:103–108.
60. Slimp JC. Intraoperative monitoring of nerve repairs. Hand Clin 2000;16:25–36.
61. Wu J, Chiu DT. Painful neuromas: a review of treatment modalities. Ann Plast Surg 1999;43:661–667.
62. Long DM. Electrical stimulations for relief of pain from chronic nerve injury. J Neurosurg 1973;39:718.
63. Melzack R. Prolonged relief of pain by brief, intense transcutaneous somatic stimulation. Pain 1975;1:357.
64. Richlin DM, Corron H, Dawlingson JC, et al. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy: successful treatment by transcutaneous nerve stimulation. J Pediatr 1978;93:84.
65. Spicer C, Kalut G. Rapid relief of a painful, long-standing, posttraumatic digital neuroma treated by transcutaneous vibratory stimulation (TVSS). J Hand Ther 1996;9:47–51.
66. Kirvela O, Nieminen S. Treatment of painful neuromas with neurolytic blockade. Pain 1990;41:161–165.
67. Guttman L, Medawar PB. Chemical inhibition of fiber regeneration and neuroma formation in peripheral nerves. J Neurol Psychiatry 1942;5:130.
68. St. Laurent JY, Duclos L. Prevention of neuroma in elective digital amputations by utilization of neurovascular island flap. Ann Chir Main Memb Super 1996;15:50–54.
69. Zeltser R, Beilin B, Zaslansky R, et al. Comparison of autotomy behavior induced in rats by various clinically-used neurectomy methods. Pain 2000;89:19–24.
70. Burchiel, KJ. Johans TJ, Ochoa J. Painful nerve injuries: bridging the gap between basic neuroscience and neurosurgical treatment. Acta Neurochir Suppl 1993;58:131–135.
71. Eaton RG. Painful neuroma. In: Omar GE, Spinner M, eds. Management of peripheral nerve problems. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1980.
72. Laborde KJ, Kalisman M, Tsai M. Results of surgical treatment of painful neuromas of the hand. J Hand Surg [Am] 1982;7:190–193.
73. Tupper JW, Booth DM. Treatment of painful neuromas of sensory nerves in the hand: a comparison of traditional and newer methods. J Hand Surg [Am] 1976;1:144–151.
74. Herndon JH, Eaton RG, Littler JW. Management of painful neuromas in the hand. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1976;58:369–373.
75. Petropoulos PC, Stefanko S. Experimental observations on the prevention of neuroma formation. J Surg Res 1961;1:241–248.
76. Cravioto H, Battista A. Clinical and ultrastructural study of painful neuroma. Neurosurgery 1981;8:181–190.
77. Battista A, Cravioto H. Neuroma formation and prevention by fascicle ligation in the rat. Neurosurgery 1981;8:191–204.
78. De Carvalho Pinto VA, Junqueira LCU. A comparative study of the methods for prevention of amputation neuroma. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1954;99:492–494.
79. Gonzalez-Darder J, Barbera J, Alamo J, et al. Fascicular ligation in the prevention and treatment of painful terminal neuroma: an experimental study in the rat. Neurosurgery 1987;21:215–217.
80. Williams HB. The painful stump neuroma and its treatment. Clin Plast Surg 1984;1:79–84.
81. Swanson AB, Boeve NR, Lumsden RM. The prevention and treatment of amputation neuromata by silicone capping. J Hand Surg [Am] 1977;2:70.
82. Huber GC, Lewis D. Amputation neuromas. Their development and prevention. Arch Surg 1920;1:85–113.
83. Yuksel F, Kislaoglu E, Durak N, et al. Prevention of painful neuromas by epineural ligatures, flaps and grafts. Br J Plast Surg 1997;50:182–185.
84. Chapple WA. Prevention of nerve bulbs in stumps. BMJ 1918;1:399.
85. Corner EM. The structure, forms and conditions of the ends of divided nerves: with a note on regeneration neuromata. Br J Surg 1918;6:273–278.
86. Munro D, Mallory GK. Elimination of the so-called amputation neuromas of divided peripheral nerves. N Engl J Med 1959;260:358.
87. Martini A, Fromm B. A new operation for the prevention and treatment of amputation neuromas. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1989;71:379–382.
88. Muehleman C, Rahimi F. Effectiveness of epineural barrier in reducing axonal regeneration and neuroma formation in the rat. J Foot Surg 1990;29:260–264.
89. Durak N, Yuksel F, Kislaoglu E. Effectiveness of epineural barriers as a flap and free graft in reducing neuroma formation in the rat following sciatic nerve severance. Eur J Plast Surg 1995;18:272–275.
90. Dellon AL, Mackinnon SS, Pestronk A. Implantation of sensory nerve into muscle: preliminary clinical and experimental observations on neuroma formation. Ann Plast Surg 1984;12:30–40.
91. Meyer RA, Campbell JN, Roya SN. Neural activity originating from a neuroma in the baboon. Soc Neurosci Abstr 1982;8:855.
92. Dellon AL, Mackinnon SE. Treatment of the painful neuroma by neuroma resection and muscle implantation. Plast Reconstr Surg 1986;77:427–436.
93. Mackinnon SE, Dellon AL. Overlap of lateral antebrachial cutaneous nerve and superficial branch of the radial nerve. J Hand Surg [Am] 1985;10:522.
94. Reisman NR, Dellon AL. The abductor digiti minimi muscle flap: a salvage technique for palmar wrist pain. Plast Reconstr Surg 1983;72:859.
95. Dellon AL, Mackinnon SE. Susceptibility of the superficial sensory branch of the radial nerve to form painful neuromas. J Hand Surg [Br] 1984;9:42.
96. Parry CBW. Painful conditions of peripheral nerves. Aust N Z J Surg 1980;50:233.
97. Battista AF. Pain of peripheral nerve origin: fascicle ligation for the prevention of painful neuroma. Adv Pain Res Ther 1979;3:167.
98. Calgrove RC, Huang EY, Barth AH, et al. Interdigital neuroma: intermuscular neuroma transposition compared with resection. Foot Ankle Int 2000;21:206–211.
99. Teneff S. Prevention of amputation neuroma. J Int Coll Surg 1949;12:16.
100. Evans GR, Dellon AL. Implantation of the palmar cutaneous branch of the median nerve into the pronator quadratus for treatment of painful neuroma. J Hand Surg [Am] 1994;19:203–206.
101. Sood MK, Elliot D. Treatment of painful neuromas of the hand and wrist by relocation into the pronator quadratus muscle. J Hand Surg [Br] 1998;23:214–219.
102. Boldrey, E. Amputation neuroma in nerves implanted in bone. Ann Surg 1943;118:1052.
103. Mass DP, Ciano MC, Tortosa R, et al. Treatment of painful hand neuromas by their transfer into bone. Plast Reconstr Surg 1984;74:182–185.
104. Hemmy DC. Intramedullary nerve implantation and other traumatic neuromas. J Neurosurg 1981;54:842–843.
105. Goldstein SA, Sturim HS. Intraosseous nerve transposition for treatment of painful neuromas. J Hand Surg [Am] 1985;10:270–274.
106. Herbert TJ, Filan SL. Vein implantation for treatment of painful cutaneous neuroma. A preliminary report. J Hand Surg [Br] 1998;23:220–224.
107. Low CK, Chew SH, Song IC, et al. Implantation of a nerve ending into a vein. Clin Orthop 2000;379:242–246.
108. Ashley L, Stallings JO. End-to-side nerve flap for treatment of painful neuroma: a 15 year follow up. J Am Osteopath Assoc 1988;88:621–624.
109. Herndon JH, Hess AV. Neuromas. In: Gelberman RG, ed. Operative nerve repair and reconstruction. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott Co, 1991:1525–1540.
110. Al-Qattan MM. Prevention and treatment of painful neuromas of the superficial radial nerve by the end-to-side nerve repair concept: an experimental study and preliminary clinical experience. Microsurgery 2000;20:99–104.
111. Low CK, Chew SH, Song IC, et al. End-to-side anastomosis of transected nerves to prevent neuroma formation. Clin Orthop 1999;369:327–332.
112. Longley JN, Anderson HK. The union of different kinds of nerve fibers. J Physiol 1904;31:365.
113. Wood VE, Mudge MK. Treatment of neuromas about a major amputation stump. J Hand Surg [Am] 1987;12:302–306.
114. Gorkisch K, Boese-Landgraf J, Vaubel E. Treatment and prevention of amputation neuromas in hand surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg 1984;73:293–296.
115. Kon M, Bloem JJ. The treatment of amputation neuromas in fingers with a centrocentral nerve union. Ann Plast Surg 1987;18:506–510.
116. Barbera J, Albert-Pamblo R. Centrocentral anastomosis of the proximal nerve stump in the treatment of painful amputation neuromas of major nerves. J Neurosurg 1993;79:331–334.
117. Lidor C, Hall RL, Nunley JA. Centrocentral anastomosis with autologous nerve graft treatment of foot and ankle neuromas. Foot Ankle Int 1996;17:85–88.
118. Viterbo F, Trindade JC, Hoshino K, et al. End-to-side neu-rorrhaphy with removal of the epineural sheath. An experimental study in rats. Plast Reconstr Surg 1994;94:1038.
119. Viterbo F, Trindade JCS, Hoshino K, et al. Latero-terminal neurorrhaphy without removal of the epineural sheath. Experimental study in rats. Rev Paul Med 1992;110:267–275.
120. Edds MN. Prevention of nerve regeneration and neuroma formation by caps of synthetic resin. J Neurosurg 1945;2:507–509.
121. Garrity RW. The use of plastic and rubber tubing, in the management of irreparable nerve injuries. Surg Form 1955;6:517.
122. Pinto V, Junqueira L. A comparative study of the methods for the prevention of amputation neuromas. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1954;99:492.
123. Coburn DF. Painful stumps and their treatment. US Nav Med Bull 1945;44:1194.
124. Spurling RG. The use of tantalum wire and foil in the repair of peripheral nerves. Surg Clin North Am 1943;23:1491.
125. White JC, Hamlin H. New uses of tantalum in nerve suture. Control of neuroma formation. J Neurosurg 1945;2:402.
126. Chiu DT, Wu J. Treatment of painful neuromas: a case report. Ann Plast Surg 2000;44:340–342.
127. Hodor L, Barkal K, Hatch-Fox LD. Cryogenic denervation of the intermetatarsal space neuroma. J Foot Ankle Surg 1997;36:311–314.
128. Davies E, Pounder D, Mansour S, et al. Cryosurgery for chronic injuries of the cutaneous nerve in the upper limb. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2000;82:413–415.
129. Kuzbari R, Liegl C, Neumayer C, et al. Effect of CO2 milliwatt laser on neuroma formation in rats. Lasers Surg Med 1996;18:81–85.
130. Konig HJ, Themann H, Hiller U, et al. Prevention of neuroma formation by neodym YAG laser: experimental observations. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1987;87:63–69.
131. McGrath MH. Local steroid therapy in the hand. J Hand Surg [Am] 1984;9:915–921.
132. Smith JR, Gomez NH. Local injection therapy of neuromata of the hand with triamcinolone acetonide. A preliminary study of twenty-two patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1970;52:71–83.
133. Reddy PD, Zelicof SB, Ruotolo C, et al. Interdigital neuroma. Local cutaneous changes after corticosteroid injection. Clin Orthop 1995;317:185–187.
134. Basadonna PT, Rucco V, Gasparani D, et al. Plantar fat pad atrophy after corticosteroid injection for an interdigital neuroma: a case report. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 1999;78:283–285.
135. Brown H, Flynn JE. Abdominal pedicle flap for hand neuromas and entrapped nerves. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1973;5:575.
136. Holmberg J, Ekerot L. Post-traumatic neuralgia in the upper extremity treated with extraneural scar excision and flap cover. J Hand Surg [Br] 1993;188:111.
137. Millesi H, Schobel G, Bochdansky T. Subpectoral gliding tissue flap. Plast Reconstr Surg 1994;93:842.
138. Millesi H, Zoch G, Roth T. The gliding apparatus of peripheral nerve and its clinical significance. Ann Hand Surg 1990;9:87.
139. Jones NF. Treatment of chronic pain by “wrapping” intact nerves with pedicle and free flaps. Hand Clin 1996;12:765–772.
140. Foucher G, Sammut D, Greant P, et al. Indications and results of skin flaps in painful digital neuroma. J Hand Surg [Br] 1991;16:25–29.
141. Godetta GA, Rayan GM. Medial triceps flap coverage for an ulnar neuroma. Orthop Rev 1993;22:603–606.
142. Rose J, Belsky MR, Millender LH, et al. Intrinsic muscle flaps: the treatment of painful neuromas in continuity. J Hand Surg [Am] 1996;21:671–674.
143. Lamey MD. Grafting of digital nerves. In: Blair WF, ed. Techniques in hand surgery. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1996:767–774.
144. Mayo-Robinson AW. Nerve grafting as a means of restoring function in limbs paralyzed by gunshot or other injuries. BMJ 1917;1:117–118.
145. Millesi H, Meissl G, Berger A. Further experience with interfascicular grafting of the median, ulnar and radial nerves. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1976;58:209–218.
146. Taylor GI, Ham F. The free vascularized nerve graft. Plast Reconstr Surg 1976;57:413–426.
147. Tarlov IM, Epstein JA. Nerve grafts: the importance of an adequate blood supply. J Neurosurg 1945;2:49–71.
148. St. Clair Strange FG. An operation for nerve pedicle grafting: preliminary communication. Br J Surg 1947;34:423–425.
149. Watchmaker GP, Gumico CA, Crandal RE, et al. Fascicular topography of the median nerve. J Hand Surg [Am] 1991;16:53–59.
150. Brushart TM. Nerve repair and grafting. In: Green DP, Hotchkiss RN, Pederson WC, eds. Green’s operative hand surgery, vol. 2, 4th ed. New York: Churchill Livingstone, 1999:1381–1403.
151. Mackinnon SE, Glickman LT, Dawgum A. A technique for the treatment of neuroma-in-continuity. J Reconstr Microsurg 1992;8:379–383.